When/where: 7 p.m. today, Spectrum Center, Charlotte
TV: Fox Sports Southeast
Stream: Fox Sports Go
Radio: 92.9 The Game
Injuries: Hawks—Miles Plumlee (quad) is out; DeAndre’ Bembry (wrist) is questionable. Hornets—
Projected starters: Hawks — Dennis Schroder, Kent Bazemore, Taurean Prince, Ersan Ilyasova, Dewayne Dedmon. Hornets– Kemba Walker, Jeremy Lamb, Dwayne Bacon, Marvin Williams, Dwight Howard.
What to watch for: The Hawks will face a short-handed Hornets squad. Nicolas Batum (elbow) is out with a long-term injury and is joined on the injured list by Michael Carter-Williams (knee) and Cody Zeller (knee). In addition, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is away from the team for personal reasons.
Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer said Bembry was injured during the season opener at Dallas on Wednesday. The Hawks didn’t include Bembry on Thursday’s injury report before adding him following today’s shootaround.
“We will see how he feels today and going through the day,” Budenholzer said.
The Mavericks got off 45 three-point attempts and made 17 while missing lots of open looks. The Hornets can’t spread the floor with as many shooters as Dallas but Budenholzer said the Hawks spent time over the past couple of days working on their pick-and-roll coverages.
“There is so much pick-and-roll in the game and it’s not an easy situation to guard,” he said. “Dallas certainly does it well and has the court spread with two ‘bigs’ who can shoot. We watched some film and talked about it but probably don’t want to over-teach or over-coach. Dallas is just one of 28 other teams and every team is going to be a little bit unique and different.”
- WATCH: Dwight Howard says ‘stupid’ to believe reports he was negative influence on Hawks
- Dennis Schroder puts on a good show for new-look Hawks
- Marco Belinelli ‘still not 100 percent’ but shows he can help Hawks
- WATCH: Hawks guard Josh Magette makes NBA debut at age 27
- Ten observations from Hawks victory at Mavs
- Hawks begin longest-ever trip to start season but opponents not fearsome
- Bettors back Hawks to exceed expectations
- Hawks practice report: ‘Gifted and talented’ defensively, ‘learning curve’ on offense
- Will the Hawks be NBA’s worst team? Experts make their predictions
- Hawks agree to contract with point guard Isaiah Taylor
- Hawks practice report: Budenholzer ‘open’ to 11-man rotation
- WATCH: Awful ‘overtime’ period at Hawks scrimmage
- WATCH: DeAndre’ Bembry reacts to Hawks picking up his contract option
- WATCH: Taurean Prince reacts to Hawks picking up his contract option
- WATCH: Hawks coach Budenholzer explains why team kept Magette over Cook
- Hawks exercise 2018-19 contract options for Prince, Bembry
- Hawks roster set. Here’s what it looks like
- Hawks to net two more draft picks in trade with Cavs
- WATCH: Kent Bazemore says Hawks ready for season
- Five observations from Hawks loss to Mavericks (exhibition)
- Hawks want to run but know ‘it’s not easy’
- Hawks practice report: Transition D still priority over offensive boards
- New Hawks style suits Bembry
- Hawks practice report: Belinelli ‘for sure’ he’ll be ready for season opener
- Hawks say ‘scrappy’ style gives them chance to exceed expectations
- WATCH: Hawks rookie John Collins on his NBA development
- Five observations from Hawks victory over Grizzlies (exhibition)
- Dewayne Dedmon (!) to shoot 3s as Hawks seek floor spacing
- Hawks waive John Jenkins, Jordan Matthews
- Can Hawks be fun to watch even if they don’t win many games?
- Five observations from Hawks victory at Cavs (exhibition)
- NBA GMs: Collins is draft ‘steal,’ Budenholzer among best game coaches
- The best Hawks lineup, for now and the future
- Dewayne Dedmon immediately shows he can help the Hawks
- Five observations from Hawks loss at Heat (exhibition)
- Dennis Schroder is arrested, and I wonder if he’s ready to lead Hawks
- Is Mike Budenholzer on board with Hawks rebuild?
- Will NBA draft lottery changes hurt Hawks?
- VIDEO: Hawks guard Belinelli says he’s fitting in fast with new team
- Now healthy, Hawks Bazemore ‘in love with the grind again’
- VIDEO: Hawks guard Schroder on leadership, featured role in offense
- VIDEO: Hawks coach Budenholzer on offensive tweaks
- Malcolm Delaney: ‘People didn’t understand everything I had to go through’
- Here are the details on Hawks contracts
- Hawks to ‘practice harder’ so they can play faster
- Hawks now are Schroder’s show
- ‘Greater pace, greater space’ for Hawks? Sounds good
- Hawks GM Travis Schlenk Q-and-A Part 2: ‘Excited’ about 2018 draft class
- Hawks GM Travis Schlenk Q-and-A: ‘We are going to be competitive’